Monday, December 8, 2014

Crayon Lip Gloss!

UPDATED POST: (12/30/14) SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM TO SEE MORE Crayon lipstick/lip balm creations!
ANOTHER UPDATE 3/24/15 measurement changes information update!

Long story short, having wanted a new item to add to my convention table for the hey of it I did a little bit of research into what was popular. Having heard you can make your own lip balm or lip gloss using vaseline as a base I figured why not try. Let me get some color base and all that.

But wait..whats this, crayons can be used? But they're just wax....and color base....hey why not?
So after looking through pintrest/youtube/other blogs. I am trying my hand at it. However in this version I am going to try and go over each different version/method.

What you will Need DEPENDING ON THE METHOD:

For ALL METHODS YOU WILL NEED:












- Crayola NON TOXIC Crayons (an size box)
- Coconut Oil (OR argon oil but that is more pricey)
- vaseline OR petroleum jelly it DOES NOT have to be name brand
- lip balm or lip gloss tube
- OR pill container (see image options) OR personal container of choice.
OR IF YOU ARE MAKING THIS JUST FOR YOU, a palette container such as for crafts or makeup. Its hard to find an image of one.
- LABELS!




OPTIONAL:
- Vaseline (vaseline is OPTIONAL but it gives it more gloss and keeps your lips from drying out)
vitamin E
- food extract such as mint, lemon or whatever scent you want.
- other oils or scents BUT MAKE SURE THEY ARE SKIN SAFE! Such as soap scent oils or literally oil extract of herbs and scents. Candle fragrance oils ARE NOT SAFE. MAKE SURE THE OILS YOU ARE USING ARE SKIN SAFE!


"Double Boiler Method"
- Crayola crayons
-  the above items and container of choice
- tin bowls/small square or rectangle bowls (I used a rectangle because that was all i could find. like for a mini loaf)
- OR A GLASS JAR depending on the pot
- EITHER a frying pan or fairly shallow pot


BEFORE STARTING DO THESE STEPS FIRST!



Take all the crayon color choices you are going to make and peel the labels off! It saves time.

I went so far as to take my box, write down the color names with a sample of the color and peel all the labels off for ease of future use. I used an exacto knife to cut the labels off, you can use a regular sharp knife or just peel them off. BE CAREFUL. And if you nick or break the crayon its OK cause its going to be melted anyways!






If you are going to use the double boiler method literally, two pots.
Fill one pot halfway with water and put the more shallow pot on top. Put the heat on medium.
Get your tin bowl or square and put it in the EMPTY top pot.

as I was going about making these for sale, I learned that for texture and thickness you will need to use MORE.
FOR thicker more lip balm like texture
take HALF a table spoon of your coconut or oil of choice.
1/2 tablespoon
Put that in the tin bowl/rectangle etc and let it melt. Adjust heat as needed to help with melting
For a more lipstick, and softer texture and easily more applicable texture,
As I do two crayons for more tubes that would mean a FULL spoon of coconut oil.


BUT DO NOT TURN IT TO HIGH.
STIR IN BETWEEN to make sure it melts and mixes well.

HERE IS WHERE YOU ADD YOUR SCENT OF CHOICE OR VITAMIN E OIL.

Once the coconut oil is melted or heated if it is liquid add LESS than 1/3 a spoon of vaseline and let that melt too. (When I say less I mean like enough to cover the tip of the spoon because too much vaseline will thin out the crayon and it will be more balm like than lip gloss like)
For more lipstick/gloss texture use a half a spoon of vaseline. But if you are doing for more (ie 2 crayons) go full spoon as well.
Once that is all metled break up your crayon to help melt it faster and add it.
Stir until it is all blended. Turn off the stove and pour into your container of choice. *use tongs to hold the container as IT WILL BE HOT or an oven mitt.*
When it is done cooling slap a label on that thing!

  
(Broken up crayon for reference)


POT OR PAN METHOD:
Similar to the double boiler method but not.
If you are using a pot get a small sauce pot or shallow pot and fill with water just under halfway. You don't want the water level above the height of the jar or heat safe container.
As you can see I chose green



I went with square/mini loaf pan because at the time that was all I could find.

Crayons in melted coconut oil and vaseline.

Not yet stirred, just added the mint scent.


 If its a frying pan, fill it a little bit with water and get your tin bowl or rectangle like I did.
The method is the same as the double boiler, add each item, stir to help it melt and to mix, and then pour into your container.


pour it in!

ALL COOLED OFF. DON'T FORGET YOUR LABEL!

and as I DO NOT have a lipgloss brush its hard to see. So I washed my hands and put it on my skin.
And for those that are like me, needing to make sure or to label many things, put the color name on it! For me I ordered lip balm tubes and mini labels for them YAY!

It came out as a very light green, almost lime or neon. As I did not have a lip gloss brush or makeup tool I used my fingertip. It feels a bit waxy but also smooth and cool, it tasted like mint leaves as I added the extract of menthe.

Feel free to experiment with your own colors its cheap and easy and most of the items can be found at walmart or your local store!

For me this is great for my cosplay or when I feel like wearing unusual makeup colors such as blue or black lipstick.


UPDATE PICTURES! (Added 12/30/14)
 After a short vacation and my supplies arriving I managed to make some. These are the testers, one of the squeeze tubes wasn't sealed so I figured tape it and make a tester tube out of it. These are cherry flavored and I named them Cherry Bomb. One of them Cherry Red. heh.

The other two are reds and pinks all of them raspberry scented and the blues are peppermint scented.
Reds: Fresh Blood, Vampire's Kiss, Sweet Berry and Pink Berry.
Blues: Winter's Kiss, Snow Flake and Snow Fall since the peppermint is meant to kind of remind you of winter.
YOU CAN mix colors to make one color darker or lighter. And the more flavors the merrier! Also if you can find the metallic, neon or glitter crayons even better!! One friend suggested doing color and scent combos that make you think huh. Such as blue with orange flavor, or Green with Berry flavor. GOOD LUCK and have fun!


SOME RESOURCES:
How To make crayon lipstick with a microwave

How to make Crayon Lipstick by Promise Phan

Crayon Lipstick? By LetzMakeup
She has a link to her blog as well!

Wiki how: How to make crayon lipstick

AND FINALLY
Instructables version of Crayon Lipstick


Thank you for reading and see you next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment