Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Granulated Wax Candles

Greetings all and happy holidays! Happy Halloween/Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.
I apologize for those in which I have not mentioned your holiday, so, Happy Hanukkah, Kwanza and anything else I may have missed.

This post is about candles. More specifically glass bottle candles using granulated wax!
I got the idea from This Post in Instructables with images to help.

(mason jars, granulated candle wax, label tags, liquid scent and pre-cut candle wicks all available at Hobby Lobby.)


I got all the supplies needed, however I also obtained the length of wicks and candle wick holders as it is cheaper to cut the length you need and buy as many candle wick holders you know you will need instead.





I also didn't use candle jars, I used cut glass soda bottles! I went with many colors and scents to match the themes I was painting on the bottles, as there are many choices!


I used a glass cutter, a candle and my kitchen sink to cut the glass bottles. Its quite simple but does require some care and eye protection.
There are many ways to do it, however I used a glass cutter to score the rim of where I wanted the glass to separate, held it over a candle and slowly rotated until I heard the faint "tink" sound or at least one minute. Put it under cold water rotating it so the water got all the way around until I head a second "tink"and separated the two pieces.

Four Ways To Cut a Glass Bottle
I used the first one in this link, only I used a glass cutter, and yes the burn or skorch on the bottle DOES wash/wipe off easily. Then sanded the bottles edge to prevent cuts or nicks.
If done well enough depending on the bottle you have a new drinking glass or new upcycled bottle.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA OR OUTSIDE IN FAIR WEATHER IF NEED BE!!!!!!!!!!
AND USE EYE AND HAND PROTECTION WHEN BURNING THE GLASS!

With the soda or coca cola bottles as they are thicker it takes a bit longer than most soda or wine bottles.

Then I painted and slapped stickers on my bottles.

I used coca cola and IBC Root Beer Bottles.

As you can see my cutting isn't the straightest but I sanded until I was absolutely sure it was smoothed out. To the point I ran my finger over the rim to be sure. No nicks so huzzah! I did several bottles in the themes of each of the mane 6 ponies and extras or "mystery scents"

My issue came when I could not cover the larger bottles. The bottle tops as I call them were easily capped with the old bottle caps however I had to improvise with the larger bottles and cover them in saran wrap and tape it tightly until I can make a better presentation of it closer to convention time.

(Some were in the process of painting. You can see how I wrapped the saran wrap to prevent spilling)


I DO admit the downsides to this are that its granulated wax crystals, as in it is not a solid mass of wax and can still spill out if not properly covered. The wick will remain in place...the rest not so much. At the time I did not have enough to purchase mason/candle jars, so meh.

I now also have some prop pokèballs for sale as I am trying my hand at some anime genre props!


I wanted to try the magnet idea, however I did not want to depend upon them so I used what resources I had, jewelry bails and key clips!


I used the key/lanyard clips to show that they are sturdy and hold in place to clip to your costume. The black key ring clip is an example only.
Working on more pokèball styles to come!

So this month of october and november have been super busy for myself and my family. School programs, halloween, fund raisers, more programs and crafting in between.

And then an emotional slam....so to deal with that I did my best to bury myself in my family and crafting until I was ready to deal with it.

So for now this is what has been going. I apologize for such a short post, thank you for reading and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment